Project’s key information
Project Tiitle: „Improving of road network for development of rural cross-border areа“ Project Acronim: AGRAS Project duration: 07.12.2012 – 06.03.2014 (15 months) Grant Contract date: 06.12.2012 Decision for start of the project implementation date: 07.12.2012 Registration of the project SEA date: 19.12.2012 Priority axis: 1. Enhancement of cross-border economic development Measure: 1.1. Economic development Total Budget: 1.192.233.00 EUR
IPA Country: 109.687.00 EUR Greece: 1. 082.546.00 EUR
Brief History of the Project
The municipalities work to build a system that provides better living standard of the citizens within the process of decentralization. They are to achieve this through introducing functional and efficient local administration, based on the principles for local democracy and sustainable development, as well as through rational resources usage and creation of possibilities for development for the future generations. In order to fulfill this principles , there is a need to create the necessary preconditions of the better planning and harmonization of the municipal strategic documents, as well as to set priority infrastructure projects for development in the South-East planning region. The Region of Central Macedonia has planned to elaborate a technical study for the road from the city of Edessa to the borders of Florina Prefecture, part of the Thessaloniki – Edessa road axis. This includes the Agras area where the road meets the waterfalls of river Agra. The proposed study will produce a by-pass of this particularly “difficult” part of the Thessaloniki – Edessa road axis. The outcome of the project will bring the construction project to a mature stage and the study will be used for the construction of the road at a later stage.
Objectives of the project
The main objective of the project is to create strong basis for improvement of the infrastructure in both regions, South East region and Region of Central Macedonia. This will offer improvement of life in the cross border area and opportunities for better economic development. The proposed road network connects the isolated cross border areas of both countries with the main road axes of the countries. The improvement of the road infrastructure will definitely have a positive impact on the regional development of the both regions. South East planning region will obtain valuable data through the Opportunity Study and the Technical Documentation on which the economic development of the region will be based. The main objective of the project is obtaining valuable data through the Opportunity Study and Technical Documentation for the local road Gjavato – Grchiste on which the economic development of the region will be based. The economic development of the area in Greece depends on commerce and tourism, i.e. movement of goods and people. The improvement of the road infrastructure will definitely have a positive impact on the regional development. Western part of the country is suitable for developing of different kind of tourism (winter sports, alternative tourism, conferences etc) and the improved road network is considered as necessary. As far as the commerce is concerned, the area of Pella (Edessa, Naousa and Skydra) is known by the fruit production. The fruit trade is conducted through the road of the proposed study.
Tasks of the partners
Overall Coordination of the activities in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
- Organization of a Conference and other informative events;;
- Organize the Elaboration of the analysis and the Opportunity Study;
- Organize the Elaboration of the Technical documentation for the local road Gjavato-Grchishte;
- Perform all the needed administrative procedures for proper realization of all of the foreseen project activities;
Overall Coordination of the project and of the activities in Greece:
- Organization of the kick-off meeting, the progress and the final coordination meetings;
- Organize the Elaboration of the Technical Study;
- Deliver the seminar on public works (public procurement, tenders, supervision, construction);
- Organize a study visit to successful public works of the Region of Central Macedonia;
- Perform all the needed administrative procedures for proper realization of all foreseen project activities.
Details about the project’s WP’s and Actions
Ensures project’s compliance with mutually agreed standards and partner collaboration, assuring that project will complete on time without budget exceeding. WP1 actions refer to project coordination and evaluation actions. Meetings between partners (every 3 moths) will be held.
The project is to provide appropriate visibility of the activities through establishment of web page for the project, elaborate promotional leaflets and 2 banners. There will be 3 advertisements in national daily newspaper, and several TV interviews will be realized. Web page will be prepared and designed and it will be used as project info web site. The project and its activities will be presented to the Council for development of the region, as well as in front of the appropriate national and regional institutions for investment promotion.
The technical study will be elaborated according to the national and european legislation of studies for public works. The technical study will include 1) the surveying study 2) the traffic study, 3) the static study 4) the hydraulic study and 5) the geotechnical studies. The Opportunity Study will be elaborated in cooperation with the municipalities and other relevant institutions responsible for improvement and construction of the road network in the region. The Technical documentation will contain the following elements: Preconditions for space planning, Infrastructure project, Revision of infrastructure project, Base project, Revision of the base project, Geodesy elaborate, Environment elaborate, Updated road base and Expropriation elaborate. These documents are needed as base for the construction of the local road. The documentation will be delivered to both the municipalities, which will be able to use it for the construction of this road
The complete technical documentation, that will be elaborated, will contain the following elements: Preconditions for space planning, Infrastructure project, Revision of infrastructure project, Base project, Revision of the base project, Geodesy elaborate, Environment elaborate, Updated road base and Expropriation elaborate. These documents are needed as base for the construction of the local road Gjavato – Grchishte. This technical documentation will be delivered to the municipalities of Bogdanci and Valandovo, which will be able to use it for construction of this road. Apart from the main contractors who will elaborate the technical study, the opportunity study and the technical documentation, outsourcing experts will be hired for the elaboration of documents for tenders for public procurement, as well as for the translation for leaflets, banners, web page and other necessary documents.
Location of Activities
The activities will be done in the territory of the South-East planning region i.e. on the territory of the ten municipalities within the region (Bosilovo, Bogdanci, Vasilevo, Valandovo, Gevgelija, Dojran, Dojran, Konche, Novo Selo, Radovish and Strumica). The technical documentation will be prepared for the local road Gjavato-Grchishte. The construction of this road has as the objective of improving the traffic conditions of the settlement Gjavato from the municipality of Bogdanci and Grchishte from the municipality of Valandovo. The road is part of the local network of the municipality of Bogdanci, and the local road network of the South-East region. The activities will be carried out in the Region of Central Macedonia and, more specifically, in Thessaloniki where the headquarters of the region are located. However, the area of the proposed study is the Agras area in the Regional Entity of Pella. The inhabitants of Edessa, Arnissa and Florina use this road to reach Thessaloniki. The produced fruits of the area are transported through the same road.
Information and publicity
The project will be publicly announced with various ways. The main findings will be included in the Technical Study and will be placed in the Opportunity Study. In addition to this, there will be 3 promotions on national newspapers, 4 interviews on radio and TV as well as production and placement of 2 informative banners and 2 Info boards in front of the project offices. The final promotion will be realized during the final promotional conference, with national media coverage. All the project activities will be promoted continuously via the special web page that will be developed for the needs of the project.
Region of Central Macedonia
The project is to provide appropriate visibility of the activities through establishment of web pages for the project and will be used as project info web sites, elaborate promotional leaflets and banners. From IPA beneficiary side there will be 3 advertisements in national daily newspaper, and 4 TV interviews will be realized. The project and its activities will be presented to the Council for development of the region, as well as in front of the appropriate national and regional institutions for investment promotion. The seminar on know-how transfer which will be held in Strumica and the study visit in Central Macedonia will definitely promote the publicity of the project.
- Overall overview and presentation of the condition with the infrastructure of the SEPR,
- Improvement of the local road infrastructure through elaboration of technical documentation for the local road Gjavato-Grchishte;
- Printed and disseminated Opportunity Study( will be used in future by all the interested parties – Municipalities, Region, Ministries);
- Improvement of the knowledge and exchange of experiences with experts from the Greece in order to improve the conditions of the roads in the SEPR and a study visit;
- Improvement of the cooperation spirit between the two neighbouring regions, the Region of Central Macedonia in Greece and the South East Planning Region, Strumica.
Region of Central Macedonia
- Elaborated Technical Study for the completion of the road from the city of Edessa to the borders of Florina Prefecture, part of the Thessaloniki – Edessa road axis. The technical study will include 1) the surveying study 2) the traffic study, 3) the static study 4) the hydraulic study and 5) the geotechnical studies.
- The construction of the road from the city of Edessa to the borders of Florina Prefecture will reach a mature stage and, therefore, it can be easily implemented. This road connects Western Macedonia to Thessaloniki and contributes very significantly to the economic development of the region.
Sustainability of the project results
The elaborated analysis and Opportunity Study will be used by the Centre, municipalities, ministries and all the relevant parties from our country, event after the project ends. The data presented there will be updated whenever the needs arise. The technical documentation will be used from the municipalities of Bogdanci and Valandovo for future construction of the local road. The technical study of the road from the city of Edessa to the borders of Florina Prefecture is expected to be completed in order that the Region will be able to publish a call for tenders for the construction of this road. The proposed study is an important step towards the final implementation of the road.
• Target groups of this project are the ten municipalities from the region (Bogdanci, Bosilovo, Valandovo, Vasilevo, Gevgelija, Dojran, Konche, Novo Selo, Radovis, Strumica )
• All the citizens from the regions that use the road daily, for trade of goods, as well as tourists, visitors, those commuting to and from region etc.